Understanding Human Reproduction
Human reproduction means the sexual intercourse between a male and a female involving their sex organs, resulting in fertilization of the female's ovum by the male sperm.
What human reproduction comprises of?
It involves two reproductive systems; the Male reproductive system and the Female reproductive system.
What role does the male reproductive system play?
The male reproductive system comprises testicles, scrotum, and penis as external organs. While prostate, vas deferens, and urethra are internal organs.
- Testicles are present inside the scrotum and produce sperms. They also produce a hormone called testosterone.
- Vas deferens is a muscular tube that transfers the mature sperms to the urethra.
- Penis ejaculates sperms.
What role does the female reproductive system play?
The female reproductive system includes ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, and vagina.
- Ovaries are assigned to produce egg cells called oocytes.
- Fallopian tubes carry the oocytes (an immature ovum) from ovaries where fertilization may occur by sperm.
- The uterus is a portion where the fertilized egg stays and grows.