Information in simple English
What is psoriasis?
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease characterised by elevated regions of abnormal skin that is long lasting and non-contagious.
The five primary types of psoriasis are:
- guttate: lesions over the upper body and proximal extremities,
- inverse: folds, recesses, and flexor surfaces of the body
- pustular: pus filled skin
- erythrodermic; affects all the body ,
What are the signs and symptoms of psoriasis?
- scaly skin patches
- red (purple on darker skin)
What are the causes of psoriasis?
- genetic disease triggered by environmental factor
- lifestyle: persistent infections, stress, and seasonal and climatic variation