What is pancreatitis?
Pancreatitis is a disorder in which the pancreas becomes inflamed.
The pancreas is a long, flat gland in the upper belly that sits behind the stomach and produces:
- enzymes (help digestion)
- hormones (help in regulating body's sugar metabolism, i.e. glucose).
Acute pancreatitis and chronic pancreatitis are its two main types.
What are the signs and symptoms of pancreatitis?
- upper-abdominal discomfort
- high temperature
- fatty stool
What are the causes of pancreatitis?
- excessive alcohol consumption
- direct traumatic experience
- certain prescription drugs