What is appendicitis?
Appendicitis is a condition in which the appendix (a pouch-like structure attached to a blind-ended tube) becomes inflamed.
What are the symptoms and signs of appendicitis?
- right lower abdominal pain
- anorexia; loss of appetite
Is there any obvious cause of appendicitis?
There are several possibilities, including:
- blockage of the entrance inside the appendix, allowing bacteria to infiltrate the appendix's walls.
- fecal debris (appendix stones), parasites, or growths that can plug the lumen of your appendix
- gastrointestinal (GI) tract infection
- Inflammatory bowel disease; Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis.
- Injury or trauma to the abdomen
How Appendicitis is treated?
Surgical removal of appendix may be done. This is known as appendectomy.