Information in simple English
What is anorexia?
Anorexia or anorexia nervosais a potentially fatal eating illness characterized by excessive loss of weight and self-starvation.
When a person weighs at least 15% less than their normal/ideal body weight, they are diagnosed with this disease. Extreme weight loss in anorexia nervosa patients can lead to major health issues and even death.
What are the symptoms and signs of anorexia?
- losing a lot of weight in a short period of time.
- apprehension about gaining weight
- a strong passion to be slim
- dietary restrictions
- body image disturbance: eating disorders characterized by an altered perception of one's body.
- in females, menstrual cycles are infrequent, irregular, or even absent.
- frequent use of a laxative, or diet pill illness
What is the cause of anorexia?
- Biological: perfectionism, sensitivity, and perseverance are all attributes related to anorexia, and some people may have a hereditary inclination toward them.
- Psychological: sticking to rigid diets and avoiding eating even when they are hungry, excessive need for perfection, leading them to believe they are never skinny enough.
- Environmental.: emphasis on thinness as per modern western culture, peer pressure, particularly among young girls, desire to be thin.
What can be done to avoid anorexia?
- positive body image
- strong eating practices
- restoring the individual's weight to a healthy level