Information in simple English
What is alcoholism?
Alcoholism is defined as any consumption of alcohol that causes serious mental or physical issues. Alcoholism has been referred to by many names, including alcohol addiction, alcohol dependence syndrome, alcohol use disorder.
- drinking large amounts of alcohol over a long period,
- trying to cut down on how much one drink but failing
- investing a significant amount of time in drinking, getting alcohol, or recovering from alcoholism
- having a strong desire or impulse to consume alcohol
- usage resulting in problems
- withdrawal occurring when stopping
- failure to meet key duties at job, school, or home
- continuing to use alcohol while knowing its health, social, or interpersonal issues
- social and professional activities, hobbies are being eliminated or reduced.
- Environmental and genetic factors