Information in simple English
Computer software is the set of information which instructs the computer on how to work. A computer functions well only if the hardware and software both work together. Computer software includes terminology like software programs, apps, scripts, and instruction sets, among others.
Two types of software include system software and application software.
- System software: collection of programs that regulate and mange computer hardware. e.g.: Operating system, programming language, Communication software, etc.
- Application software: performs specific tasks for end-user. e.g. : Microsoft Word, Excel is application software.
- Antivirus: AVG, McAfee, and Norton.
- Audio / Music program: iTunes and WinAmp.
- Communication: Discord, Skype, and Ventrilo
- Database: Access, MySQL, and SQL.
- E-mail: Outlook and Thunderbird.
- Game: Madden NFL football, and Quake.
- Internet browser: Firefox, Google Chrome, and Internet Explorer.
- Movie player: VLC and Windows Media Player.
- Operating system: Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, and Windows.
- Photo / Graphics program: Adobe Photoshop and CorelDRAW.
- Presentation: PowerPoint
- Programming language: C++, HTML, Java, Perl, PHP, Python, and Visual Basic.
- Spreadsheet: Excel
- Utility: Compression, Disk Cleanup, encryption, registry cleaner, and screen saver.
- Word processor: Microsoft Word