Information in simple English
Operating system (OS) is the programme that is used to manage the resources of a hardware and software of computing devices like computers, the web serves, smartwatches and smartphones.
It can be called a platform that creates a connection between the user and the hardware.
What are the most common OS?
- Microsoft Windows
- Apple macOS
- Android and
- Apple’s iOS
What are the functions of OS?
- operate the resources of the computer
- make ease for users to understand and interact with computers
- provide services for applications software
- manages disk drives, printer, and memory of the computer
- processing, memory and device management
- provides security
- error detecting aids
What are the types of OS?
- Time-sharing operating systems: UNIX, Windows NT Server
- Distributed operating systems: Solaris
- Multi-Programmed operating systems: Windows O/S
- Network operating systems: Windows Server 2003,2008
- Real-Time operating systems (RTOS): PSOS, VRT